Suicide blast near Nato base, Afghan casualties

Monday, January 19, 2009

KHOST: A suicide bomber detonated near a Nato base in eastern Afghanistan on Monday, with initial reports saying several Afghan children and adults were wounded, local and US officials said.
The blast struck near Camp Salerno, a mainly US base on the outskirts of the town of Khost, about 40 kilometres from the border with Pakistan, the officials said.
‘There was an explosion in the vicinity of Salerno... initial reports indicate it was a suicide vehicle,’ a spokeswoman for Nato’s International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) in eastern Afghanistan told AFP.
First reports said five Afghan children, a woman and a man were wounded, said the spokeswoman, Lieutenant Colonel Rumi Nielson-Green.
‘There are no Isaf forces being reported as casualties so far,’ she said.
The blast appeared to have been aimed at a smaller Isaf base near Salerno, she said. Camp Salerno is the biggest US base in eastern Afghanistan.
Afghan interior ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashary told AFP there had been a suicide attack but had no information on casualties.


Diseño por Open Media | A Blogger por Blog and Web